St. Angela Merici Parish was established on May 31, 1928, despite the absence of an official church building, and the first Sunday masses were held at the Theosophical Society Hall on Monterey Street. Less than a year later the original St. Angela Merici church was completed. This first St. Angela Merici church, located on Central Avenue, was built in the style of village churches found in Brittany and held 180 people.
By the 1950s, the growing population of Pacific Grove made it apparent that a larger Catholic church was needed. Monsignor William Lane broke ground on the current St. Angela’s church on August 1, 1956. This new building, located on Lighthouse Avenue, was designed to seat 400 people and has been updated and renovated several times to better accommodate parishioners and enhance parish prayer life.
Over the years, St. Angela Merici parish has contributed much to the lives of the people of the Monterey Peninsula. Many have benefited from a wonderful education at St. Angela’s School, and then later at St. Angela’s Children Center. When troubled by difficult times members of our community have been able to turn to the St. Vincent de Paul Society for financial and emotional support. The Catholic Daughters, Our Lady of Fatima, the Italian Catholic Federation and many other important outreach groups continue to work tirelessly to build a community of kindness and compassion. Presently there are over 40 active ministries that outreach to the parish and larger community. We all pray in gratitude as we continue to embrace the spirituality of stewardship. Thanks be to God for all of our blessings.